It looks at what young people with special needs as well as their parents have to deal with when the student ages out of the education system. One thing Peter says he took away from the episode is that being a helicopter parent to these young people is not a bad thing. "It's a necessity and it will probably last a lifetime," he says.
You can find Peter's episode on "Aging Out" at this link: https://soundcloud.com/peterfinch/finch-files-aging-out-episode-83
- Steve Silberman's book is called "NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity."
- Kamran Nazeer's books is "Send in the Idiots."
- The Bricks And Minifigs store that Bob and Patty Flynn opened to provide employment for their son Scott can be found online at: www.bringsandminifigs.com/store/concord-california/
- Here's a link to The Wayfaring Band: www.thewayfaringband.com.
- Aspergers Experts can be found at: www.aspergersexperts.com
- No wonder Michael Bernick struggled to remember the acronym for the group he is involved with. It's the Autism Aspergers Spectrum Coalition for Education Networking and Development. Here's a link: www.aascend.org.
- The Autism Society San Francisco Bay Area is at: www.sfautismsociety.org