Advocating to Your Regional Center
Basic rights under The Lanterman Act : http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/506301SuppB.pdf
For info re : IPP Process and Lanterman Act : http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/506301Ch04.pdf
SAMPLE Email REQUEST FOR IPP meeting :
Dear ( Name of Social Worker, Name of Supervisor ) :
I will be available for my ( son’s/ daughter’s ) next IPP ( 3 dates/times ). ( Please arrange for a phone conference IPP ). ( We can meet for the next IPP meeting at : ( name of school; Park; City Rec Center; Library; Restaurant ).
If you need a face to face meeting with ( Name of Client ) you can visit ( him/her at : location : school; Park; Rec Center; Restaurant ).
( We plan to tape record the meeting )
( Your name and phone # )
Confidentiality Notice:The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person to which it is addressed and contains confidential and privileged client information. Any review or dissemination other than to the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.
Sample Pre IPP Email/Attachment
Re : ( Name of client ) ( Phone Conference/IPP meeting, Date )
Dear ( Name of Social Worker, name of Supervisor )
Enclosed is a Parents Attachment for our ( son’s/daughter’s ) next Individual Program Plan meeting (IPP).
The Lanterman Act provides that the IPP team should revise the IPP as appropriate, to address information about the client provided to, or by, the parent(s) or Guardian(s).The law also states that the information that the parent(s) or Guardian (s) provide regarding the client, must be considered in developing and reviewing the IPP.
The Lanterman Act provides that a Regional Center must think of innovative ways to meet a client’s needs, and help ( his/her ) family to find a solution that works(1).
The IPP team must consider preferences, information and concerns about our ( son/daughter ) , that we would like to provide and to have included in ( his/her ) IPP.
Please attach and number this letter, and the enclosed Parents Attachment to the IPP that contains ( his/her ) preferences, our concerns and requests (2). Thank you.
( Your name )( Conservators of the Person and the Estate of ( name of client ) ( Your Phone # )
(1) [ §§ 4685(c)(2); 4648(a)(2) and (10). 20 U.S.C. §§ 1431 et seq.. §§ 4651(a), 4685(c)(2); 4648(a)(2) and (e)(3) ](2) § 4646(a). § 4646.5(a)(1).§§ 4501, 4502(a). “The [Lanterman] Act clearly contemplates that the services to be provided each client will be selected ‘on an individual basis.’” Williams v. Macomber (1991) 226 Cal.App.3d 225, 232 (citing ARC v. DDS, supra, 388, 390). § 4646.5(a)(4). “The services and supports the regional center agrees to provide to its clients should be set forth in unambiguous language. In the instant case, the provision that the regional center will ‘request’ funding is ambiguous because it is unclear whether the agency is agreeing to provide the services enumerated or is only agreeing to request them. Since the service agency stated that it is committed to provide claimant with the services set forth in its proposed IPP – and not merely request them – the IPP should reflect this in unambiguous language.” In the Matter of T.S. v. Golden Gate Regional Center, OAH Case No. 2003020153 & N2003010267 (citing ARC v. DDS, supra, 390). List of requests for ( Phone Conference IPP/IPP meeting review name of RC )
Date : ……………..
1. Parents request the IPP to include the following information :
. X is ……….. years old, and will finish High School on ……….
. X cannot safely access and utilize public transportation.
2. Parents request the IPP to include the following Goals and objectives :
∙ ( Name of client ) would like to make friends and develop relationships with peers.∙ ( Name of client ) would like to have a job, live in the community, go to adult school, and have activities that she enjoys such as sports etc… ∙ ( Name of client ) would like to be a part of ( his/her ) community by doing things like attending events organized by , Church, the City of …etc…∙ ( Name of client ) would like to learn skills such as handling money, cooking, and using transportation∙ ( Name of client ) would like to get help for ( himself/herself ) and family, such as respite, day care, and behavior services.
3. CBS Waiver for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (DD Waiver) :
Parents request ( name of client ) to be identified as eligible for the DD Waiver for the services she needs, and ask ( Name of RC ) to send a letter to let us know if you she is eligible for DD Waiver services. If ( name of RC ) does not identify ( name of client ) for DD Waiver services, we will apply on our own.[ Welf. & Inst. Code § 45 12(a), from the DD Waiver at page 2, Para. 4.d (5-1-2006) Cal. Code Reg. Title 22 § 51543 - 51343.2.]
4. Parents request GGRC to hire an Attorney to help at the hearing with ( Name of Agency e.g : IHSS, SSI )
5. Parents request GGRC to provide information re :
- Crisis intervention.
- Mobile Crisis Intervention – immediate 24-hour emergency services.
- Crisis Intervention Facility Services – temporary 24-hour residential services.
6. Out of home respite :Due to ( name of client ) needs and history of ( describe ), parents request ( name of RC ) to locate and provide 21 days of out-of-home respite placement.
7. ( number ) hours of respite every 3 month for the following reasons :
8. Parents requests re : BEHAVIORAL SERVICES :
- If deemed necessary by ( Name of RC ) , parents agree ( Name of RC ) provides evaluations done by appropriately credentials service providers, certified by the following entities :
Behavior Analyst Certification Board: http://bacb.com/index.php?page=100155
California Board of Psychologists: https://www.psychology.ca.gov
California Board of Speech and Language Pathologist: https://www.speechandhearing.ca.gov
California Board of Occupational Therapists: https://www.bot.ca.gov
9. Parents requests re : Supported Employment :
10- Parents request ( Name of RC ) to locate and provide the following Job Training support/services :
. Transportation assistance.. Job skills training.. Job coaching.. The name of the person/agency which will provide the services.. How the services will be funded.
11. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to locate and provide the following re : ( Name of client ) wishes to meet more people/making friends or dating :
- Classes to help ( him/her ) to get involved in fun things happening in the community.
Contract with one of the following entities to provide the following re : meeting more people/making friends or dating
- ( Name of City ), [Activity Guide : https://issuu.com/menloparkrecreation]
12. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to locate and provide the following re : Medical services :
- Classes/training to stay in shape, develop physical strength, exercise or diet.
Contract with the following entities, for the above mentioned classes :
- City of ( Name ) Park and Rec : ( website )
13. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to locate and provide the following classes re : developing Social Skills :
- Classes/training to establish and maintain friendships in the community.Or Contract with the following service provider to provide the above mentioned class :
- ( Name of City ), [Activity Guide : https://issuu.com/menloparkrecreation]
14. To prevent accident ( drowning ) :
Parents request GGRC to locate and provide one hour per week of safety swimming classes, in the spring or summer.
Contract with the following service provider to provide the above mentioned class :- ( Name of City or YMCA swimming Program )
15. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to ensure that before any referral to any Generic Agency, ( Name of RC ) will make sure that the support/service is available or that the service will meet ( Name of client ) needs.
16. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to advocate and make sure that the services ( Name of client ) needs, are available from another agency, if a Generic agency cannot provide the service.
17. I applicable , Parents request ( Name of RC ) to send a “ request of Proposal “ (RFP ) to all the provider organizations in the area to see if an agency is willing to develop and provide the services ( Name of client ) needs.
18. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to Email parents its POS policy.
19. Parents request copy of the policy and for the exception policy, if ( Name of RC ) says that any of the support/service parents requested is/are beyond what ( Name of RC ) provides under its POS policy. 20. If ( Name of RC ) says it cannot provide, or must stop, or cut back any of the support/service parents request ( Name of RC ) to send Notification to Parents.
21.Parents request ( Name of RC ) to send a Notice of its decision regarding any denial, removal or reduction of any support/service, and also Notify The California Department of Developmental Services ( DDS ).
22.Parents request ( Name of RC ) , to ask DDS to provide with enough money to cover the cost of any support/services parent request, to the end of the fiscal year.
23. If applicable, parents request ( Name of RC ) to ask DDS for funds, in order to initiate and develop a new program of services and support, that ( Name of Client ) needs.
24.Parents request ( Name of RC ), to make sure that no gaps occur in the provision of the services ( Name of client ) needs.
25. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to send IPP document for review and signature within 45 days.
26. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to send “ Notice of Proposed Action “ if ( Name of RC ) refuses to provide any of the above mentioned support/service.
27. If applicable, parents request ( Name of RC ) to reschedule another meeting within 15 days to discuss any disagreement(s).
28. If applicable, parents request ( Name of RC ) to send copy of the Consultation/Interdisciplinary Team review Worksheet.
29. Parents request ( Name of RC ) to send copy of the Annual Review and MW HCBS Waiver form.